Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2




Skill + 1UP – 2KCBWDAY2Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?.

Looking back over the last year, I guess I can say that I have learned a few things.  That's the nice thing about textile arts is that you never have to stop learning.  The only one holding you back from picking up something new is yourself.  This past year has witnessed me branching out into machine knitting to assist me in "knitting for profit".  Within the world of machine knitting, I've learned that with some manual manipulation, your machine can do a lot more than just knit rows.  I was also recently taught the "two at a time" magic loop method of sock and mitten knitting by my pal Jobo from Jobo Designs.

One of the most interesting things I've learned in the past year (or so) has been the use of mixed techniques. like using crochet to embellish knitting, or knitting lace edging to embellish knitted felt.  This has led to a desire to want to mix upcycled fabrics with knitted and felted fabrics to make truly unique finished pieces.  One of my favorite upcycled/crocheted/woven fabric mixes has been my spicy tie bags seen here:

No comments:

Post a Comment