Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale Of Two Yarns



Ok, so today is day 1 of the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week and the topic is, my two fave yarns.  Yarn number 1 for me is MacAusland's Woolen Mill yarn from PEI Canada.  I wrote all about it a couple of weeks ago in my post "An Ode To Yarn". I love this yarn with all my heart and all the finished objects pictured on my blog so far have been made with this yarn, both in 2 and 3 ply weights.  It is sturdy and warm and comes in a nice variety of colours (naturals, solids, heathers, tweeds and ragg).  I love that it's a locally produced product for me and a very quick car ride turns into a trunk full of this stuff.  I have also had success in felting every colour I've tried to date (that's almost all of them) and because their white yarn is natural white and not dyed and treated, it felts like a dream also.  Check them out here http://www.macauslandswoollenmills.com/

My number 2 yarn is from Belfast Mini Mill, also on PEI Canada.  I love all of their yarns so I'm not going to choose just one.  They mill all sorts of fibres from many varieties of sheep, angora, mohair, cashmere, husky, qiviut, jeez I can't remember all of them.  They produce these yarns (and fibres for the spinners out there) in all colours imaginable.  I once picked up the last 5 skeins of a lot of beautiful merino 3 ply in Lilac which I fell madly in love with.  Unfortunately I was ill prepared for this post and don't have a picture to show you.  Just know that it is springy and smooshy and very wearable next to the skin.  Check them out here
http://www.minimills.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment