Friday, September 23, 2011

Homesteading

Wild Apples from our property



I have been a big believer in the 100 mile lifestyle for some time now even though I don't always do a very good job of it.  This year I have decided to take the localvore culture (which used to be the normal way of life for everyone) a few steps further than I had in the past. 

We have been growing fruit for a few years now and are actually starting to see decent yields, enough so that I can actually preserve some for the winter by pickling, jamming, drying and freezing.  We haven't had a veg patch in several years but we live in the country and have many farm gates to be able to buy from.  I also realized this year that many of the farmers around me plant grains for crop rotation so I'm looking to buy some of these also. 

My experiment, the plan....is to see how much food and how much variety I have to preserve to sustain the two of us for the winter.  The plan is a daily amount of potato, veg, protein and grain.  I thought the variety would get boring but so far I've preserved corn, blueberries, peaches, strawberries, beets, rhubarb, rye, grapes, scallops, mustard pickles and currants.  This weekend will give us apples, more grapes, tomatoes and more pickles.  (everything I've mentioned so far has been local except for the sugar used in the jam/pickles).  We will be freezing local pork, locally grown and made sausage.  Root vegetables I don't have to save in advance as they are all grown very locally and available all year round.  Our dairy is all produced on the Island from Island farmers so that we don't have to do ourselves either.  Grains I'm still working on but I know I can get rye, wheat, barley and soy beans so I just have to GET them.

Himself just told me he picked up some lovely hot peppers this morning and wants me to turn them into some kind of pepper relish....mmmmm sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment