Thursday, November 3, 2011

More Than Just A Blanket.

I see blankets as more than just blankets, especially those woollen blankets that every family seems to have.  Some of those cozy wool blankets are ooooooold, some new, some in excellent condition, some with scorch marks, some with wee stains, some with the edges worn, torn or missing.  But one thing they all have in common (other than being made of wool) is family history.  When I look at an old blanket, whether it is in good shape or not, I see history.   A blanket can really tell a story...an epic even!  People have been made under blankets, born on top of blankets, kept warm in winter, kept snug during a flu bug and yes, have even taken their last breath under that beautiful piece of textile.  An entire life lived (or many many lives lived) under and on a single blanket.  That's quite a story for one simple piece of wool cloth.  High Fives all around for the Wool Blanket! 



A modest sampling of my wool blanket collection sitting on top of a yarn chest my Father made me.




No comments:

Post a Comment