Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Taking Wovember to Heart

When I first read about Wovember (see my last post) and I decided to wear or work with 100% pure wool all month long, I realized....Hey, I do that almost every day anyway, all year long!!!  I love wool, I love everything about wool.  And yes, it bothers me that some labelling (and people) call yarns and fabric from other sources by the name "wool".  Wool is not a pseudonym for yarn, nor vice/versa.  Wool is wool.  Yarn can be made from wool, and in most cases that's the only yarn I use.  I do often throw other fibres into the mix like alpaca, mohair, cashmere, seacell and silk....all natural, but they're not wool.  Wool is wool.  Wool comes from sheep.  Wool smells like.....wool blankets.  Wet sheep smell like wet wool blankets.  Just thought you should know that.  Wool is fire resistant, incredibly warm and holds it's thermal properties even when wet (just ask the wet sheep).  Wool can be itchy and coarse (great for outerwear and carpeting), it can be extremely soft and comfortably worn against the skin, and any degree of coarse or soft in between.  Wool makes a good insulation.  Wool is a natural product.  Wool is harvested from sheep without needing to kill or harm them.  Geez, what more can I say, I love wool and everything about it.  For any of you who read this blog and have not yet knit with wool, I urge you to try it. 

These are wonderful mitts that a friend gave me last year, she knit them from I believe merino wool?  This is what Wovember means to me.


Wovember also means a continuation of my work with...you guessed it...WOOL!



This is the inside project page of the my new book Knitting Socks from Around the World, I loooooove this book and winning it was even better!!!!  Thank you Helene.

No comments:

Post a Comment