Friday, December 9, 2011

Felt

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that I love felted wool and I use it quite a lot.  Today, I took a sweater that I had knit for Mr. several years ago that was way too big (and he was way to kind to say a word about it, he just doesn't wear it) and felted it.  I neglected to take a before photo, but here is an after shot.  It was knit with MacAusland's 2 ply in Natural Grey in a nice checkered pattern (about 5 stitches per block).



Not a great picture I'm afraid, but you can still just barely make out the pattern.  It might be about in inch shorter than he would like it now, but all in all it will be a much better fit.

I also machine knit a sheet of MacAusland's 3 ply in Natural Grey (a different shade than above) and felted it to see how it would turn out.  I need to make 2 more sheets and felt them, then I'm going to cut and use my signature stitch to make a very interesting pullover.  This was Mr.'s idea, I think he's on to something.



This particular batch of yarn felted up very nicely with a soft halo, I think it's perfect for a warm garment.  Here's a closer look at the finish.


Unfortunately the Mr. Darcy that I was lovingly hand knitting Mr. for Christmas is in the frog pile.  I love this sweater, I love the pattern, it was a pleasure to work on it...but I was again making it way too big.  Ok, before you say "did you swatch"....I sure did!  And knowing that I knit loose, I started with a smaller needle than recommended and my swatch was perfect.  In fact, it seemed that anywhere on the sweater that I checked for gauge, it was perfect...but It was still ending up many inches toooooooo wide so instead of going any further and ending up with yet another lovely sweater in the closet....I stopped.  I will let you know how the felt and cut sweater turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment