Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Simple Way....

I live in a small rural community where life runs at a different pace.  Time is told here by the seasons more than by one's watch and the people (although using modern practices) still tie themselves to the land.  I recently watched the documentary series Edwardian Farm where they used the term "one foot on the land, one foot in the sea" referring to the old way of life in Coastal Devon where you made a living by working both in farming and in fishing.  Life is very much like that here in my community, in the early spring there's herring fishing, then potatoes to plant, then lobster to fish (spring season), then potatoes to grow, fall lobster season, the potato harvest.  Not to mention everything else in between like scallops to fish, grain to sew, mussels to fish, hay to make, grain to cut....I know I'm missing all sorts of land and sea crops, but you get my meaning.  I love feeling this rhythm while watching the seasons change and I certainly feel a part of it.  As well as knitting from yarns produced from my local mill, I am also an avid food preserver.  I "put up" all kinds of local delights by pressure canning, freezing, drying, pickling and by doing so, I feel tied to the land/sea also.  A few days ago, one of my neighbors drove by with this on the back of his truck....


...new lobster traps, fresh from the workshop made in time for the season.  I believe this says 'Spring has arrived' every bit as much as my calender.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to watch Edwardian Farm, I have some episodes on my computer that are waiting for a quiet evening to enjoy! "One foot on the land, one foot in the sea" does sound very much like our island. :)

    ReplyDelete