Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lucky Find....And Daily Grind...

We had a lucky find this past week (I love it when that happens), Mr. found an old oil lamp in the basement that he mentioned I might like to look at.  I took a look and it was caked with dirt and dust and full of ancient lamp oil (that was also filthy) but it didn't seem to have any cracks.  The metal wick holder was held on with masking tape and the wick had started to disintegrate but I cleaned it up and had a go anyway.  I wish I had thought to take a before picture but I was so excited by the find that I couldn't wait to get at it.  Here it is, cleaned and shined with a new wick, wick holder and chimney.  A friend of mine figures that this was the original "basement lamp" used before electricity came up our road in the 1950's.



Along with a restoration project, I've been getting ready for company so I decided to get crackelackin baking some bread....but first I had to do the "daily grind"...



...yup that's where that saying originated, but unlike my ancestors, I have an electric grain mill.  The bread making will happen tomorrow, mmmmmm.

We've also started getting some pretty good garden hauls, this week was all about the herbs.  They were starting to flower so I decided to cut about half of each and bring them in to dry.


Sage, Lemon Balm and Oregano.

Next week.....peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment