Monday, September 24, 2012

Salsa

So I was hoping for an entire weekend of down time....then on Saturday Mr. informed me that he would really like some salsa made up for the Winter.  On Saturday morning we took a wee jaunt to our local farm gate (which is only 10 minutes away) to buy a pumpkin and all the fixins for home made salsa.  Then I packed everything into a corner of the kitchen and refused to budge for the rest of the day.  There were even afternoon naps all around...I don't think any of us, not even Dave (that's our cat) realized just how tired we were.

So Sunday morning this is what I got up to....


....everything except for the vinegar and tomato paste came from our local farm gate:)  Unfortunately, after harvesting about 30 pounds of tomatoes, we had about 20 pounds of loss due to rot.  It looks as though it might have been blight but we really aren't sure.  The salsa would have been made from our own, home grown vegetables, making it truly ours, but, even with the loss, it was so nice to be able to get everything we needed from one of our local farmers.  Next weekend, I am getting that elusive down time....just one weekend with no jars, pressure canners, boiling canners, snap lids, burnt finger tips, sharp knives....I will really miss it:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chantelle! Thank you for your comment on my woolly rug! It was a fun project! It looks like you've been up to your elbows in Salsa! It will be worth the effort this winter! - Christina from www.ClassicCableKnits.com

    ReplyDelete