Monday, October 15, 2012

Of Nests And Spindles....

One of the beautiful handmade wooden tools that I bought at this year's Spinning Retreat was this Turkish Spindle.....


It is an absolute dream to use.  The spindle is beautifully balanced and with such a wide centre of gravity, it spins for ever.  The fibre in the picture is a blend of greys and purples that I received in my goody bag to make a "bird's nest" and enter it into a contest.  We were taught to blend colours using hackles and a diz, which I used for the first time and this is the roving that I came up with.  I love the colours and am spinning it into a 2 ply yarn (on the Turkish Spindle) that I will knit into something small like a cowl to take to next year's retreat.  I think the fibre is Merino wool, which is a dream to work with and so, so soft...it should make an incredibly warm and comfortable cowl:)

No comments:

Post a Comment