Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

Should old acquaintances be forgot and never brought to mind.....

...no way, not my motto.  This season saw a family get together to celebrate a special guy's very significant birthday!  The best part of this type of get together is the opportunity to not only celebrate a specific thing, but to also reacquaint ourselves with dear friends and family that we don't see very often, sometimes for years.  Mr. Homesteader and I travelled a short distance from the Maritimes to Ontario for this special occasion, and of course, since it's wintertime in Canada, we had storms.  Storms in Ontario that delayed all of our travel on the way there and storms in the Maritimes that delayed all of our travel on the way back.  Thank goodness we are hardy Canucks, made of tougher stuff than old man winter can throw at us.  The trip itself, once there was fantastic.  We got to catch up with close family and close friends that are always near to our hearts no matter how far flung to the four winds we all might be geographically.  Some of these friends, which I consider family, I have known since the day I was born and they mean a great deal to me.

So, our time was spent in a lovely 1850's house, come bed and breakfast in Almonte, Ontario.  The breakfasts were outstanding and the comfort and hospitality definitely rate an A plus from Mr. and I.


Top - a glimpse of the front veranda, overlooking the river.
Bottom - view of the B and B, taken from the bridge.

For anyone wanting a small town, old world experience, I think Almonte is just the thing.  It's old (by Canadian standards), charming AND being part of the Mississippi Mills system and area, it has a textile museum...I know!!!  Unfortunately time and holiday hours did not permit me to visit the museum but it's on my list for next time.  I did do a little textile work of my own while away...a little knitting to help me retain my sanity during all of the flight delays.



I find it quite humorous that the delays were longer than the flights themselves....and I'm so grateful that knitting is permitted both at the airport and on flights.

From my wee homestead to yours, Happy New Year and all the best to you in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment