Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday, Monday....

It's a beautiful day out today in my part of the world, so nice in fact that it was a joy to get up and start the week (having a great weekend make it pretty easy too).

About a month ago I posted about my first attempt at cheese making.  I had obtained fresh, local milk and followed all of the directions and have since been lovingly checking and turning it.  Well, the nice thing about making Colby cheese is that you only really have to wait a month before you can eat it instead of leaving it to age for 3 or more months.  So last evening we invited friends over to help us crack open my first fromage.  There were a few spots of mold on the outer edge, both top and bottom that had not penetrated the rind and cream wax, I was so worried that it was ruined and delighted to open it up to find creamy, smooth, unblemished cheese.  It smelled mild but heavenly and tasted creamy and mild but not as mild as it smelled (which was a nice surprise) and the texture...ooooo it was just right on the tooth.  Not too soft and of course with a little chewiness closer to the rind.  All in all, I'm very pleased with the result.  It's delicious and I made it with my own two hands.


We made an event of it with crackers, wine and fruit.



Fromage!

Remember that nice fabric I told you about...the one pictured on the top banner of my blog....well it does go so well in my living room and will probably become cushions or a lap quilt or something for that room.  So I decided I needed a big granny blanket to accompany it.  I have so many colours in my stash that I just knew I could pull the look together.  With fabric in hand, I searched through the stash and this is what I came up with....



I narrowed it down to 6 colours on a background of cream (3 greens and 3 pinks), all in very earthy hues.


I'm having more fun making this than should be legally allowed.  I had forgotten how much faster crochet is than knitting too, which is giving me a lot of instant gratification watching this grow at break-neck speed. 

Hope your weekend was filled with colour, flavour and friends also.  Have a great week everyone and Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment