Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Of Cheese And Fibre

What a great weekend spent doing the things I truly enjoy.  Saturday morning I woke up with one thing on my mind.....Make Cheese!  So after about 6 hours of work I had this lovely Monteray Jack to show for it.


Notice the lovely cheese board it's sitting on?  After ordering my cheese making supplies for my Birthday, I woke up on the morning of my big day to find that Mr. Homesteader wasn't quite finished with his gift giving yet...


Isn't that a lovely accompaniment to what I'd already received.  I think the cheese is going to turn out lovely, I only have one concern about potential dryness.  I had difficulty getting the curd to firm up and from what I understand, cutting a softer curd can lead to too much loss of butter fat and I have to say that my whey did look a little more rich that last week.  So fingers crossed.  I know it tastes good, we'll just have to wait and see about the texture.

I sorted through a bit of yarn this weekend also.  I had purchased these lovely skeins of single ply, fingering weight from MacAusland's Woollen Mill.  The singles have quite a lot of energy in them, making them difficult to knit with if you don't wash and hang them first.  The kitchen smelled so good with a sink full of wool taking a nice warm bath.  When I was finished wringing them, I hung them on hangers with a coffee mug as a weight.  It's a perfect weight for a 100g skein of MacAusland's yarn and with the dryness in the house this time of year, they dried almost completely overnight.



I wish I could take a picture that's a true representation of the colours but I only have my smart phone for a camera and no special lighting.


The weekend came to a close with a wonderful Sunday Lunch made especially for me by Mr. H.  He cleverly dreamed up this masterpiece and it was one of the best meals I've ever had.  Pork tenderloin medallions breaded and fried in olive oil, thick cut potato slices...again fried in olive oil with a side of carrots and a lovely fried medley of both sweet and hot peppers.


And just when I thought it was over, on Monday, with 2:00pm fast approaching (that's when I was supposed to start work), Mr. texted me and said you might as well stay put and I'll work the rest of the day.  So that ended up being another whole day off.  Sweet.  So today, I'm repaying the favour and he's staying home for the day and I'm working.  Win win.

Dave, well Dave hasn't been working too hard lately at all.  He's been doing some of this....

 and a little of this....


It's such a hard life.

No comments:

Post a Comment