Monday, March 11, 2013

Time

I can't believe how quickly time moves, or at least how much more quickly it appears to move the older we get.  That said, after living in our current house for 9 years, we're still struggling to find time to finish all of the work we started on it.  Almost every room has had work done on it, but not one room is completely finished.  This drives me insane.  Friday I decided that I would finally tackle the upstairs hallway.  When we moved in, there was carpet over the hardwood all the way up the stairs and in the upstairs hallway which we removed right away as I'm allergic to dogs and the previous owners had three.  Needless to say the carpet was old, gross and a trip to the hospital waiting to happen.  The hardwood underneath was never touched, it's dark and tattered looking only because of the years of wax and dirt buildup.  This is a very good thing.  That means that when it does get refinished it will look amazing.  But the floor will be the last phase of the entire reno.  I am working on all the trims and walls.  Mr. had moved the bathroom door and created a new door at the end of the hall where the old water closet had been.  The WC is now a fantastic walk in, linen and storage closet and the new and proper bathroom was built where the fourth and smallest bedroom once was.  As you can image this created some drywall, plaster, trim and paint issues.  Mr. had already pieced in the new wall board, taped and put on the first coat of mud so I went in and sanded, filled some more, repaired cracks in the old plaster on the other side of the hallway which had been covered by wallpaper for 92 years.  But, I ran out of weekend so I still have to fill a bit more, address the ceiling, sand some more and caulk before I can finally prime and paint.  It will be so nice to have a little more of the house completed, I don't feel comfortable in a chaotic mess.


As you can see, I really am on my way....and the floor is so beautiful.


The old plaster is very smooth, I feel lucky that there are only a few cracks to fix.

On Sunday, Mr and I decided to roast a nice big domestic goose that we'd purchased from a neighbour.  I think I overcooked it because it was tough as old boots but my goodness was it ever tasty (and the crispy skin should not even be legal).  It was the first time I had either cooked one or eaten one and I enjoyed it very much.  If I had to compare it to anything I would say it tasted like a cross between chicken and turkey but much richer.  And yes, in true homesteader style, I strained and saved the grease.  Gordon Ramsay says it's excellent for frying eggs...I bet!


Not a pretty picture, I assure you it looked much more appetizing in real life.

Now the one thing that I'd really planned on having finished by now is my granny square throw.  I only have about 15 more rounds to do but I can't seem to find time to sit and do it.  It is at least bigger than the last time I checked in and fed the blog.


This is my "big week" at work, the one where I work way to many hours, so hopefully I will get this done while I'm here.

What did you do on your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment