Thursday, July 25, 2013

Best Weekend Of The Summer

Last weekend, Mr. and I went camping in Cape Breton as members of the Annual Vintage Fiberglass Camper Group.  We had sooooo much fun.  We played a version of BINGO for campers called CAMPS, instead of cards and balls with numbers and letters, there were camping related words like "matches" and "camp stove" and my personal favourite "S-house".  We also participated in a murder mystery called "Murder on the Bras D'or, it was a good time with lots of laughs...I even ended up winning the Murder Mystery and received tickets for Mr. and I to enjoy a sail in this beautiful Schooner on the Bras D'or Lakes.  I didn't even realize that it was on my bucket list until we were in mid sail!  It was a glorious sunny and windy day and the Captain and Crew told us that it was indeed a perfect day as we were able to enjoy the ride in "full" sail.



Everything about it was perfect, 1 1/2 hours of heaven in a 67 foot, wooden Schooner, in full sail on a bright sunny day, shared with my husband and another dear friend.

Very shortly after our morning on the water, the adventure continued as I climbed into my friends' van and headed out to Iona, Cape Breton where we enjoyed an afternoon at the Highland Village, this is a very fun outdoor museum (my favourite kind), with several houses to see with costumed interpreters at every stop to explain life at that time.  The journey starts in a dry stone house (representing life on the Island of Barra, Scotland) where a young woman tells her story of her and her Pa working so hard to save passage to the new world (passage costs the same as one year's rent in their cottage).



The interpreters are very knowledgeable and answered every single question that they were asked without batting an eye.  I really enjoyed the hand spun, handwoven items I found in the log house.  I fell in love with this hounds tooth weave.


Everywhere we went the presenters were ready and happy to speak with us and let us look around and even touch some of the artifacts.




The costumes were great and obviously hand made.  I've probably met some of the spinners and weavers that worked on them since they probably belong the Cape Breton Spinner's and Weaver's guild.

We had wanted to visit Fortress Louisburg, especially since it's the 300 year anniversary, but we simply ran out of time so we'll have to get there on our next visit to Cape Breton.  Oh, I almost forgot...we also visited the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, that was pretty cool and taught us that he was a very kind and generous man which makes him even more awesome in my mind than he already was.

No comments:

Post a Comment