Friday, September 6, 2013

The Produce Isle

Don't you just love it when the closest produce isle is 20 feet from your back door!


A medley of garden veg (carrot, potato, beetroot and onions), seasoned and oiled and ready for roasting.


There's also a little snack to munch on through the evening, I still can't believe that I grow deliciously edible grapes in my own back yard.  I recently watched an episode of The Victorian Kitchen Garden (not sure if I remember the title correctly) and the gentlemen was explaining that in the times of the Victorians and Edwardians, bunches of grapes would be cut and the stems placed in water bottles much like cut flowers.  This would keep the grapes reasonably fresh for months if the water was changed and/or topped up often.  When the cold room in our basement finally is finished, I will have to try that.  I do wash, stem and freeze them to be able to eat fresh/frozen grapes all year, but I think fresh/fresh would be even nicer.  I haven't bought grapes in three years now!

I've been churning out hats...I'm up to 15 now and am eagerly awaiting a call from the mill to deliver, there's something to be said for being prepared.

I've been dreaming about preserves and know that I won't really have time to make anything this month, I truly hope there are still some things that I can do late in the canning season.  I was reminded of just how wonderful these home made gems are last evening when the Mr. and I smothered our ham and scalloped potatoes with mustard pickles and rhubarb relish.  I know I won't be able to make as much as last year but I would still like to get a couple of batches of salsa, cranberry sauce, grape jam and mustard pickles made...maybe I'll just have to count on the larders of generous friends and neighbours this year.

What are you making, feel free to drop by the blog and let us know.

2 comments:

  1. Glorious garden bounty... mmmm ! Hey, that is *so* cool about the Victorian Kitchen Garden... and the grape stem in the water !!! I will try that next year too, as I have a grape vine which is *finally* producing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know how you make out with it.

    ReplyDelete