Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Blogs, Accomplishments and Tech

This blog has been neglected recently.  Not for lack of interesting projects, or cool photos...rather for lack of a cell phone that I understood the operation of.  I broke my phone over a month ago and have been using Mr.'s old one as a temporary replacement.  My phone did everything for me, including taking all of my photos.  Now, Mr's old phone takes perfectly fine photos and I can use it for texting and calling, but I'm darned if I can get it to do things as simply as my last phone.  I knew it worked fine, it's just that I didn't know how to get what I wanted out of it.  So during this last, long while that I was unable to retrieve my pics and add them here, I decided not to feed the blog because a post without photos is kind of uninspiring.

So...I am now armed with the knowledge of retrieving photos and can play a little catch up.  First of all, it was high time that I updated the photo on my header to show the season.  Pretty, yellow daisies just weren't accurate any more.  Now it's time for a wee bit of news.

I spent the last two months stitching away on orders for Christmas.  There were cushions and mittens and covered hot water bottles....there were scarves and hats and shawls....but there was also something new to my repertoire.  I have wanted to put together a pattern for a machine knit poncho, so when a customer asked if I made them I told her "not yet, but leave it with me and I'll see what I can do.  If you like the end result, it's yours, if not....I can try something different".

She told me she wanted something full and warm but I didn't think to ask if she wanted something triangular, rectangular, retro, modern...so I just sat, sketched, swatched, swatched some more, knitted a few pieces, unravelled those and started again.  In the end, I came up with a simple large rectangle made from two front pieces and two back pieces with a shaped neck and islets around the perimeter.  When I took the four pieces off of the machine and started sewing them together, the project as a whole of course didn't look like much.  Knitwear always looks so much better after a proper wash and block.



After the pieces were sewn together and hand knit the little turned collar and gave it a really good soak and a blocking.  The fabric softened and draped beautifully, hanging just to the wrist and halfway down one's bottom.  I was happy with it and my customer was over the moon.  I will be making several more in the weeks to come.  Two of which will be a solid colour (one in demin and one in brown) as the white one is here and another in three bold stripes of rust, gold and olive.


The islet trim is both pretty and utilitarian as it allows me to wire block very evenly. It's so good to be back and am looking forward to getting back to the knitting machine and to blogging (with photos).  Drop by and let me know what's on your needles these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment