Monday, February 9, 2015

Snowshoe Mitts

After knitting myself a new snowshoe hat, I realized that my mitten stash was looking very sad.  My favourite mittens are the first pair I ever made (around 10 years ago) out of MacAusland's 2 ply.  I have worn them and worn them and now they are very tired.  I mended one thumb only to find that the side of the same mitten was completely thread-bare and would need more that a little stitching.  Kind of embarrassing considering that I'm a competent knitter!  Deciding that the mitts should be very warm for winter sports, but wanting to use some of the same purple yarn I used for my snowshoe hat, I decided to make a pair of "Newfoundland Mitts".  The honeycomb pattern does compress your stitches into something akin to thermal undies, making them very warm without too much bulk.  So far I only have 1 mitten finished which ended up not helping me when I went snowshoeing this weekend.  The hat however came in very handy.



Saturday was my first time out this winter with snowshoes on.  The weather was perfect....not a breath of wind, very sunny and the temperature was just below freezing.



The only sound other than the odd vehicle driving by was the rhythmic crunch, crunch of my feet.


There are several snowshoe trials in my neighbourhood, but our 4 acres turned out to be the perfect winter playground.


There were wonderfully flat areas to hike along...


 ...and very hilly drifts to really challenge me.


I can't explain to you the shear bliss I experienced while on my adventurers in the snow.


 The sun kissed my cheek and I touched nirvana.


No comments:

Post a Comment